The Master Recipe Boule Loaf
3 Cups Lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher/coarse salt
6 1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all purpose flour- i would recommend King Arthur Brand's Bread Flour, I've tried it with whole grain flour and it is really not the same.
1.Mix water, yeast, and salt
don't worry about it all dissolving
2. In a mixer with a dough hook combine water mixture and flour until uniform.
3. Put dough in a 5 qt container and let it rise for 2 hours at room temp.
4. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, if not over night. Do not put container's lid on air tight.
5. When you want to make a loaf 1st sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough, then reach in a grab a handful (grapefruit size) amount and then "cloak" (which is just taking the edges of the dough and wrapping them underneath so it makes a nice loaf shape) the dough, NO Kneading! to shape the loaf it should take no more than 30-60 seconds.
6. Sprinkle pan with cornmeal and place loaf on the pan, let sit out for 40 minutes
7.Once the loaf has been sitting out for 20 minutes place a broiler pan on the bottom shelf of the oven, and Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and slash the top of the loaf with a serrated knife.
8. After 40 minutes have passed, pour 2 cups of hot tap water in the broiler pan and then place the loaf on the shelf above the water. Bake for 30 minutes!
It's so simple and SO GOOD!