3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup white sugar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted margarine, 1 cup sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger; blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until tops are cracked. Cool on wire racks.
These cookies are kind of in between a shortbread and a sugar cookie. They are my new favorite!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for rolling the dough
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs until blended. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- With floured hands, roll level tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until puffed and the bottoms are pale golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons water, and the vanilla until the mixture forms a thick but pourable glaze (add more water if necessary).
- Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and let set, rounded side up, on a rack set over a piece of parchment paper. Allow the glaze to set, about 20 minutes. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
5 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Baking powder
4 sticks softened butter
3 cups white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
6 TBS. buttermilk
Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until somewhat smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients. Mix well. Add the buttermilk to make the dough soft, not wet. Roll into med/small balls or roll out onto floured surface and use cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake until done, around 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let them rest on the cookie sheet for several minutes. Then let cool on wire rack or towel. Frost.