We have this little store in Kansas City called heavenly oils & vinegars, they only sell olive oil and balsamic vinegar in like a million varieties and you can go in and sample flavors like chocolate balsamic and rosemary olive oil. I've been to a few other shops similar in others states so its not unique to Kansas City, I think its a franchise of some sort and you can name it whatever you choose. Anyway all that to say that good balsamic vinegar will change your life. Seriously, I'm not joking. I bought a bottle for several different family members for Christmas and everyone was in love and asked for more. It seems like especially in the summer I'm all about putting balsamic on everything and so this caprese tortellini pasta salad was born. I love to have a healthy snack in my fridge that I can grab instead of crap and this salad lasted for a week (it makes a lot) and I never got sick of it!
Fresh farm grown tomatoes and mozzarella never get old to me, and when you add fresh basil... mouth watering, am I right?! I love using tortellini in this salad instead of just regular pasta because I mean I always need more cheese. :)
Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 22 ounce package fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups- 16 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 packages fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, balsamic and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste. Toast the pine nuts at 375 for 5-8 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked combine the pasta, cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, pine nuts, fresh mozzarella and dressing. Top with fresh parmesan. I've eaten this warm as it comes together or cold after its been in the fridge and its always delicious!
This salad comes together so quickly and makes a ton! It's perfect for a side dish for days or to take to a gathering. Happy Summer and Happy Cooking friends!