You may have noticed I've been gone for a while, gone that is in blogland. I've taken a very unanticipated hiatus the last 2 months, I'm pregnant with our 3rd baby (yay!) and so sick (not yay). I wasn't sick with my first two pregnancies so when I was anticipating getting pregnant I had no intention of doing nothing but lay on the couch for 2 months. Sometimes life throws a curve ball at you and you have to slow down, figure it out, and regroup. I hate not operating at my normal capacity. It is so hard and so frustrating not to be able to function. Regardless we are super excited to welcome another adorable little person into our family in October. I'm going to try to get some new posts up over the next several months, but I can't make any promises. Today I've got a great summer dessert, this peach crumble pie is the best of both worlds, a mix between a pie and a cobbler, and its delicious.
Peaches are like the taste of summer, it doesn't feel quite like summer until I buy a box of them at the farmers market. At our house we are a sucker for crumble topping, don't judge, but sometimes it gets eaten all by itself. :)
What is your favorite way to enjoy summers favorite fruit? I love to just bite into a juicy fresh one for an afternoon snack or slice some in a salad. yum. Can summer get here quickly please?! :)
Peach Crumble Pie
Ingredients (1 regular pie or 4 small pies)
- 1/3 cup of pecans
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 6 cups peeled & sliced peaches, about 4-5
- 2 tablespoon flour
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and toast the almonds and pecans for 6-10 minutes. Let them cool and then chop them up. In the bowl of a stand mixer place the nuts, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix to combine. Add 12 tablespoons of cold butter cut into small pieces, and mix until the butter combines with the flour mixture and becomes a "crumb" topping.
2. Unroll your pie crust and place in your pie plate, pressing down to the plate. Make the pie filling by peeling and slicing the peaches. A trick I use to peel the peaches is to pop them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes and then drain in your sink with a colander, mark an X on the top of each one and the skins will slide right off! Cut in half and remove the pit and then slice and place in a bowl. Mix the peaches with 2 tablespoons of flour and then dump into pie shell.
3. Spread crumble mixture on top of the pie filling and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes and then serve!
Powered by Recipage