Butternut Squash, Bacon & Brown Butter Pizza
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1/4 of a butternut squash, peel discarded and then peeled into strips
- Assorted shredded cheeses, like gruyere, havarti & fontina (or just an Italian blend)
- Fresh made Pizza Dough- Recipe HERE
- The sauce on this pizza is a garlic ricotta, to make the roasted garlic ricotta cheese preheat your oven to 375, peel an entire head of garlic and place all the cloves in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, this is creating roasted garlic that has rich deep flavor. When the garlic is finished, remove the brown garlic center from the skin and place in a food processor with the ricotta cheese. Process until smooth and incorporated.
- Make the brown butter by placing the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and letting melt. Add the chopped shallot and let cook with the butter. The butter will start to change to a golden and then brown color, swirl the pan every so often to make sure its all cooking evenly. Once its brown remove from heat.
- To make the butternut squash shavings I used my vegetable peeler and continued to peel the squash after the outside peel was already discarded. Using thin peels insures that the squash will be cooked and not hard, since the pizza only cooks for 10 or so minutes.
- Once your dough is ready and rolled out brush the edges of the crust with the brown butter using a pastry brush. Spread the garlic ricotta over the entire pizza and then top with crumbled bacon, Italian cheeses, butternut squash, more cheese and then the brown butter shallots.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
Creative Inspiration in your inbox!
Subscribe to get holiday ideas, delicious recipes and fun crafts in our newsletter!