Shrimp and Grits with Bacon
Serves 2, double for more people
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grits
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- 1-2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a dish that can transfer from stovetop to oven, I use an enamel coated cast-iron skillet, heat on the stove over medium heat and melt the butter. One the butter is melted add the grits, milk, and both cheeses. Stir to combine and then place in the oven. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- When the grits have 30 minutes left start to prepare the shrimp. First cut up the bacon into small pieces and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is done and crispy, remove from pan with slotted spoon and place on paper towel.
- Generously season the shrimp with Old Bay season and then add the shrimp to the pan with the bacon grease and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side. You will see the shrimp turn from translucent to opaque. Remove from pan and place on the paper towel with the bacon.
- Last, dump the diced tomatoes into the pan, this should deglaze the pan and make it easy to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan to stir in with the tomatoes. Cook for 3-5 minutes to get everything warm.
- Serve by placing the grits on a plate with bacon, shrimp and tomatoes tossed together and placed on top.
Creative Inspiration in your inbox!
Subscribe to get holiday ideas, delicious recipes and fun crafts in our newsletter!