I wanted to make a special dessert for father's day so i decided to try to do a copycat of the PfChangs banana spring rolls. Matt and i both agree they turned out delicious! I paired them with Haggan-Dazs pineapple coconut ice cream and drizzled my homemade caramel sauce on top. They aren't that difficult so try them some time!
Banana Spring Rolls with Caramel Sauce
Package of square won-ton wrappers
Bananas - each banana makes 2 spring rolls
Wrap 1/2 of a banana in the spring roll securing with water. You can see photo directions of how to roll them HERE. Fill a heavy bottom pot with about 1/2 inch of oil and warm over medium-high heat. I test the oil by cutting a little piece of won ton wrapper and sticking it in the oil and see if it bubbles and cooks it correctly. When its warm enough go ahead and put your rolls in, turn them over with tongs after a minute or two until they are cooked on all sides. Drain on paper towels and then cut in half and serve warm.
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1. Combine the sugar, water, and the corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
3. Do not stir from this point on, but instead swirl the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
4. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
5. Be careful here, Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.
6. Stir the mixture with a spatula scraping the sides of the pot and combining all the ingredients, again be careful. Add the butter and stir until combined. As you stir you will see the caramel come to the consistency that you want and look like caramel! Let cool for a few minutes and then drizzle over your dessert. This recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups so you'll have lots to save the in the fridge for other recipes like the salted caramel cheesecake i made a few weeks ago :)