We are quickly moving into gift giving season and this year I'm going to try and make something handmade for everyone on my list. My goal is to bring you several easy and quick but adorable handmade gift ideas, so that If you feel in the mood to pull out your sewing machine or craft supplies you'll possibly have some inspiration right here. Today is my first shot at it with these cute striped fabric sewn coasters, a great hostess gift, friend gift or just a gift for someone who loves their morning tea and also loves their furniture. :) I love that this project takes almost no fabric- its small and easy and if you are a sewer at all I can bet you have enough scraps to whip some of these up.
You might notice that these are pieced but not quilted, I kind of hate binding, and find it so much easier to just flip something inside out and finish with a topstitch, so thats what I did. Clearly going all out and popping batting in and finishing with binding would be adorable, but you can take the cheater way out with me if you want. ;) I used a interfacing called "stiffen" which is a brand new product by Fairfield World to make the coaster have a little bit more weight and stiffness, it worked beautifully!
Here's what you need:
For each coaster you want to make
1. 5 strips of fabric that are 2" x 6"
2. 1 backing piece of fabric 6" x 6"
3. 1 piece of stiff fusible interfacing 6" x 6"
1. After you have all your pieces cut you'll want to sew your strips of fabric together for the top. Sew each together with 1/2" seam allowance. If you want your coaster to be a square (5"x5" final dimensions) make sure you sew with the 1/2" seam allowance.
2. After you have your top pieced together iron your interfacing to the back side.
3. Then lay your backing piece of fabric on top of the pieced fabric, which should be the same size 6"x6", right sides together and sew all the way around at 1/2" seam allowance but leave 2" open on one of the four sides to pull through.
4. Pull the coaster right side out and iron it flat. Sew a topstitch all the way around the coaster at 1/4" from the outside edge. Trim any threads and you're done!
You can totally whip out a bunch of these in one afternoon and have some fun gifts to give to friends and hostesses this holiday season. Can you believe that its almost November? I love the holiday season, but it sure does come in quickly and feel a little bit like a tornado doesn't it?
Every month I participate with some other bloggers in what we call the #creativebuzz, we have a theme and all make projects with that theme and then share them all. There are some fabulous hostess gifts below, make sure to click over and see!
2. Sewn Coasters by Handmade in the Heartland
3. Bottle Tag Printable by 733 Blog
4. Put Your Feet Up and Relax Gift by A Girl and A Gluegun
5. Dinner in a Jar by Play. Party. Pin
6. Stenciled Tea Towels by One Krieger Chic