If you’re having a party this month i have the perfect dessert for you and your guests, a new twist on the caramel apple, a caramel apple sundae bar. This dessert comes together so quickly with store bought toppings placed in cute containers and you can give it the homemade touch with my favorite caramel sauce. Keep reading for the recipe.
For the toppings we set out chopped nuts, Reese’s pieces, dried fruit and coconut, chocolate chips and ginger snap cookies all to top sliced apples of course. Drizzling this homemade caramel sauce is the perfect topping.
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Combine the sugar, water, and the corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
4. Do not stir from this point on, but instead swirl the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
5. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
6. *** Be careful here *** Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.
7. Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until combined.
8. Stirring occasionally, allow to cool until thick like molasses and warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.