Just in case you're in need of an alliteration in your life today I've got one- butternut, bacon and brown butter pizza. Its the perfect pizza combination that you totally need in your life. We have pizza night every Friday at our house, and believe it or not my kids fight to order it instead of make homemade! sad face. Hopefully one day they will realize the goodness of pizza out of their own oven. Until then 50% of the time we order delivery and the other half I win and get to come up with really delicious combinations they won't touch. insert maniacal laugh.
I started making homemade pizza several years ago and after ready THIS post by Annie's Eats and following her instructions on how to make great pizza crust at home I have never had a problem. Her recipe is perfect.
I love my baking stone- I make sure to put it in the oven to preheat with the oven so its nice and sizzling hot at 500 degrees. I use a wood pizza peel to transfer the raw dough pizza onto the stone. Its kind of tricky and it took me several tries to get the hang of it but the key is to put a good amount of cornmeal on the pizza peel so that the dough won't stick and will slide right off onto the hot stone. Having a hot stone is the best way to get really good restaurant quality pizza at home.
Butternut Squash, Bacon & Brown Butter Pizza
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 shallot chopped
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1/4 of a butternut squash, peel discarded and then peeled into strips
- Assorted shredded cheeses, like gruyere, havarti & fontina (or just an Italian blend)
- Fresh made Pizza Dough- Recipe HERE
- The sauce on this pizza is a garlic ricotta, to make the roasted garlic ricotta cheese preheat your oven to 375, peel an entire head of garlic and place all the cloves in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, this is creating roasted garlic that has rich deep flavor. When the garlic is finished, remove the brown garlic center from the skin and place in a food processor with the ricotta cheese. Process until smooth and incorporated.
- Make the brown butter by placing the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and letting melt. Add the chopped shallot and let cook with the butter. The butter will start to change to a golden and then brown color, swirl the pan every so often to make sure its all cooking evenly. Once its brown remove from heat.
- To make the butternut squash shavings I used my vegetable peeler and continued to peel the squash after the outside peel was already discarded. Using thin peels insures that the squash will be cooked and not hard, since the pizza only cooks for 10 or so minutes.
- Once your dough is ready and rolled out brush the edges of the crust with the brown butter using a pastry brush. Spread the garlic ricotta over the entire pizza and then top with crumbled bacon, Italian cheeses, butternut squash, more cheese and then the brown butter shallots.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
Powered by Recipage
If you make this please let me know! I love to see it when you make things from the blog! Share it with me in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@handmadeintheheartland) or facebook!
Need to save the recipe for later? Pin the image below!