A few months ago I made a rookie breastfeeding mistake- I started taking my normal birth control pill. After a few days of a fussy non-sleeping baby I realized that the pill had drastically decreased my milk supply and baby girl was HUGRY! Starting to freak out a little after pumping only 3 ounces, I started reading every article on the internet that could give me some tips to increase my milk supply. That is when I came across THIS article talking about Mrs.Patels fenugreek bars. I ordered them directly after reading the article. The problem with ordering them is that they don't ship for 6 days after you place the order, I'm guessing because they make them all after they are ordered. If you are freaking out about your milk supply getting them a week later isn't going to calm you down. ha!
After eating my box of fenugreek bars I scoured the internet and couldn't find any recipes similar to what I had purchased. So I made up my own. I can't say they are exactly like Mrs.Patels but I can tell you they are worth a shot at increasing your supply. They contain all the great ingredients that people say should help with breastfeeding supply, fenugreek being key, they taste good and are SO easy to make!
Fenugreek Lactation Bites
- 2 cups oats
- 3 tablespoons ground fenugreek*
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- Add all the ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the paddle attachment until everything is combined.
- Spoon out and form into balls, mine were slightly bigger than what I would make for cookies, so like 1 1/2" diameter.
- Keep in an air tight container in your fridge.
* To grind your fenugreek seeds you need a high power blender or flour mill (I've never tried a coffee grinder but I'm guessing that would work as well). I tried to grind them first in my food processor and they just pinged around and did not turn into flour. You want the seeds to grind and become a flour and my Vitamix did it no problem.
Powered by Recipage
If you make these please let me know! I love to see it when you make things from the blog! Share it with me in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@handmadeintheheartland) or facebook!
Want to save this for later? Pin the image below!
Life with three kids is a circus. We just got back from a 10 day vacation to Las Vegas & California. We got to see these wonderful grandparents of Matt's (picture above) and his dad, step mom, brother, sister-in-law and nieces. It was fun, maybe a little too long and everyone other than Matt got sick. The kids actually did really really well considering they were off of their schedules and in new places for 10 days. I am committing a cardinal sin that I said I would never do, the baby is sleeping in our bed. It started on vacation but hasn't stopped since. She always starts out in her bed but at 2 am when she's been crying for 15 minutes and I know she'll go right to sleep when I lay down with her in our bed it's just too easy. Plus I've mastered nursing while laying in bed, which basically means I don't even have to really wake up to feed her. Whatever works, right?! At some point we will do sleep training but for now I just want to sleep. ;)