I've got one word for you friends. Chocolate. Double Chocolate. These double chocolate vegan power muffins are the healthiest chocolate treat you'll ever put in your mouth. In my humble opinion, that is. I've partnered with Sprouts to bring you a perfect back to school plant based breakfast recipe that you and your kids will love!
I was given an awesome box of plant based ingredients from Sprouts and asked to create a delicious kid friendly recipe for a School Fuel Challenge! This project was so fun, I kind of felt like a contestant on chopped! What can yo do with the ingredients in your basked and the pantry?! The rules were that we had to use at least 3 of the products in the basket, I used 4- that counts extra right?! ;) The basket included Earthbound Farm spinach, mango, and broccoli, Vega protein & greens as well as Vega One, Silk yogurt alternative and So Delicious Coconut Milk.
My oldest baby starts kindergarten tomorrow and I'm a little in shock. He's so ready and so excited and loves school, I know he will do great. I'm ready for school to be in session and get a good routine down, I love a good schedule, However it does seem like the end of an era with him and I'm a little sad. I've been kind of concerned about his breakfast because he's not a big breakfast eater but I know he needs to be full when he gets on the bus!
I know I've created a good recipe when my kids woof it down and my five year old loved these muffins. He normally can spot a baked good that has veggies in it from a mile away and the fact that he ate these for a week strait without noticing the spinach was a win in my book!
If you make these please share it with me! I'd love to hear in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@handmadeintheheartland) or Facebook! It makes me so happy to see you making recipes from the blog!!
Filled with good for you ingredients like spinach this is a chocolate muffin you can give your kids and feel good about!
Breakfast during school is so important, these muffins will keep you full until lunch!
These double chocolate vegan power muffins are the perfect plant based breakfast that you and your kids will love.
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Vega Protein & Greens powder
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 container Silk Vanilla Yogurt Alternative
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup Frozen Spinach
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 bag vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prep your frozen spinach by measuring out 1 cup and then putting it into a food processor or blender. Mine was still somewhat frozen but you can thaw it completely if you have time. Blend or process down so that it's close to a puree or very small pieces, it ends up being around 1/2 cup once processed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix or sift your dry ingredients together- whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, protein powder, cocoa powder & flax. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream your coconut oil and sugar together. Once combined add in the vanilla, yogurt, spinach & bananas, after those are mixed in add in the dry ingredients alternately with the coconut milk. Once completely combined add in the chocolate chips and fold in until they are evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Prepare your muffin tray with coconut oil spray or other alternative or use paper liners. Divide the batter between 12 muffin wells, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, If you don't use all the batter for 12 muffins you may want to reduce your cooking time so as to not dry out the muffins. Test the muffins with a toothpick at 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy for breakfast or snacks!
Need to save this recipe for later? Pin the image below!