When I was in school one of my favorite dishes that the lovely cafeteria ladies made was chicken tetrazzini. I remember making sure I took lunch money the days it was on the calendar and if I happened to bring my lunch I would be bringing it home uneaten in favor of chicken tetrazzini. I made this recipe the other night and it is the bomb.com friends, seriously so good. Its not your cafeteria recipe, its much more grown up and yet its just as comforting. The recipe makes a good amount so you’ll be enjoying it for a few days in leftovers, I’m a fan of a warm lunch the next day.
This dish is typically made with spaghetti noodles, but I used oriechette and it was delicious. I’m not particular on what pasta I use, they all kind of act the same and I prefer little short pastas than the longer variety in general.
Do you have a favorite cafeteria lunch? I’d love to hear in the comments, I might even try to make an updated version for ya!
- 1 lb bag of pasta, I used oriechette but any pasta will do!
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 8oz container of mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons red cooking wine
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- First melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cut your chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and add them to the melted butter. Cook until browned, flipping chicken pieces, about 5-8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Next add chopped onion to the same skillet over medium heat and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a minute or so. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release their juices another 5-10 minutes. Once the mushrooms are cooked empty the contents of the skillet into the bowl with the chicken. set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and add to bowl with chicken and mushroom mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter to the skillet once its melted add the flour to make a roux. Slowly add in chicken broth and heavy cream and whisk until it thickens. Add 2 tablespoons red wine and stir into sauce. Once the sauce is thick you can then stir it into the pasta, mushroom mixture and chicken. Mix in almonds & 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Dump mixture into a baking dish. Top with last 1/4 cup of parmesan. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly. Enjoy warm!
Powered by Recipage