I feel like the slow-cooker was made for Sundays. I mean how wonderful is it to come home from church and walk into a house that smells like dinner?! Today I fixed this delicious cuban shredded beef and it did not disappoint! We must be in a latin mood because last night we ate at a local south american restaurant called empanada madness and I had an entree that was very similar to this. This beef is flavorful but not spicy, which is perfect for my taste and also for kids. I loved the addition of some sliced avocados, I mean when are avocados not a good idea? Next time you think about pulling out your crockpot I totally recommend making this dish- its delicious!
When you crave ethnic food what do you crave? Indian is always on of my top choices for take-out and I love an enchilada, but to be honest I had never really had cuban food until we visited Miami in February. We went on a culinary tour through south beach and enjoyed multiple different traditional cuban dishes and I discovered that I love cuban food! If you’ve never tried it this dish is mild but delicious and a perfect foray into the cuisine.
Slow Cooker Cuban Shredded Beef
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2lb flank steak
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- slices of avocado
- black beans & rice
- Add all ingredients (except canola oil & steak) to a crockpot and mix to combine. Move the mixture so that there is an opening in the center of the crockpot to place the meat.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add oil. Season your steak with coarse salt & pepper and put into skillet. It should sizzle when you put it into the skillet. Sear each side for just 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan and put into crock pot. Spoon some of the veggie mixture onto the top of the meat. Put the lid on the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the meat from the crockpot and shred. Once all the meat is shredded add it back into the crock pot and mix it into the tomato mixture that it had been cooking in.
- Serve with black beans, rice and slices of avocado. Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage
If you make this (or any dish on the blog) I’d love to see a pic and hear about it! Tag me on instagram @handmadeintheheartland or leave a comment, it makes me so happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed a recipe!