I love spring farm fresh produce and asparagus is one of the favorites in our house. I love to just roast it with a little olive oil and sea salt or if I’m feeling a little indulgent wrap a bundle in bacon. Risotto is such a great staple to know how to cook, you can add in whatever veggie you want and make it a seasonal dish. For example in the fall i always use butternut squash and in the spring asparagus, peas and onions are perfect. This asparagus risotto recipe is a great addition to your cooking arsenal, everyone will be impressed and all it takes it a little patience.
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 3 tablespoons Butter, divided
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio Rice
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Prepare your asparagus by washing and snapping of the ends, then cut on the diagonal into 1/2″ pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and add the diced onion. Cook until the onion is translucent about 10-12 minutes.
- In another pot heat the chicken broth until it boils and then turn to low or turn off, you want the broth to be warm to add to your risotto.
- Once the onion is cooked add the rice and stir, cook until the rice is translucent but not browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed. Add 1 cup of warm chicken broth, stir occasionally and once it is mostly absorbed add another 1/2-3/4 cup of broth. After you’ve added about 2 cups of broth toss in the asparagus. Continue to do this until all the chicken broth is absorbed. It should take about 30-40 minutes. Stir often and never let the rice dry out.
- Once you’ve added all the broth stir in the last tablespoon of butter and parmesan. Stir it in to combine. Turn off heat and serve warm. Enjoy!
Happy spring friends! whats your favorite spring dish?