I don't know about your house but we (and when I say we I mean my 2 toddlers) eat more hot dogs than I'd care to admit. I remember before I had kids I just knew I'd be the mom that never fed her kids hot dogs and chicken nuggets. bahahaha. Its kind of amazing the type of "parents" you are before you actually have kids. Regardless how many hot dogs your kids already consume these 4th of July firecracker dogs are too cute to not whip up for your neighborhood picnic or family festivities.
|Fun and Easy 4th of July Firecracker Hot Dogs!|
They are fairly simple and adorable. You'll totally be the coolest mom on the block when you pull these babies out. Can you believe the 4th is almost here? I mean why is summer going so fast?! I've got lots of fourth of July ideas up my sleeve so make sure to check back next week!
|Making them is simple!|
Prepping these guys is just a few simple steps that make a big impact! Topping them off with the cheese stars is my favorite little detail.
|These hot dogs display like firecrackers! So fun!|
4th of July Firecracker Dogs
- 1 can refridgerated breadstick dough
- 2 packages -16 hot dogs
- 16 thick slices colby cheese
- 16 skewers
- First take your skewers and stick them all the way through your hot dogs leaving about an inch and a half exposed out of the top of each hot dog. Then take a piece of breadstick dough and carefully wrap it around the hot dog until you get to the top. Place the wrapped dogs on a silpat (non stick baking liner) or parchment paper and bake according to the package directions for the breadstick dough. It took us about 20 minutes at 350. (Read all about why I love my Silpat HERE)
- While the hot dogs are cooking take out your cheese slices, the key to this step is to go to your grocers deli counter and ask for them to slice you pieces of cheese that are 1/4"-3/8" thick. Then using a small star cookie cutter cut out your stars. Depending on how big or small your cookie cutter is will determine how many stars you get out of each slice of cheese. We could only get one star out of each slice.
- After your dogs have cooled for 2-3 minutes stick the star through the skewer at the top.
- We used a pail with a styrofoam ball hidden by crinkly papers to display them here, which would also be a great way to display them at a gathering. You can also just layer them on top of each other on a plate. Enjoy!
|Kids & Adults will love these fun pigs in a blanket style firecracker dogs!|
Happy planning! There are SO many cute 4th of July ideas right now around the blogosphere!
|Hot dogs on a stick! Perfect for the 4th of July!|
Need more 4th of July Ideas?
ice cream sandwich! :) Adding sprinkles makes them so much more fun! Click HERE for the details!
panna cotta is delicious, light and the perfect dessert to impress everyone at your fourth of July celebration! Click HERE for the recipe!