This easy recipe for chiles rellenos egg cups can be made ahead and heated up throughout the week, these Mexican egg muffins are a delicious and healthy breakfast!
I’ve been making this egg recipe for years and when I realized it wasn’t on the blog it got moved to the top of my to do list! This is one of those recipes you just keep making because it’s SO easy and SO good.
- Milk, cream or sour cream (which ever you prefer)
- Chopped green chilis
- Roasted red peppers
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salsa & sour cream for topping
With a lot of quiches or egg cups you have to cook onions or veggies on the stove before putting them into the recipe, this recipe doesn’t, which makes it so easy! You use pantry staples like chopped green chilis and roasted red peppers to get your flavor and veggies, and you won’t be disappointed.
If you are looking for more delicious breakfast recipes be sure to check out my Mushroom & Sun-dried Tomato Egg Bites, my favorite Sweet Potato & Sausage Breakfast Hash and these easy Breakfast Tacos!
How to make Egg Cups
Mexican egg cups are a great make ahead meal prep breakfast! This recipe couldn’t be simpler. You literally beat the eggs, mix in the ingredients, separate into muffin cups and bake. So easy!
For this and all muffin recipes I use my BonCook Flexipan muffin tray. It is literally life changing! You don’t flour, grease or spray it and NOTHING sticks to it. If you use a regular metal muffin tray for this recipe you need to make sure and spray or grease it well, eggs stick to metal easily.
How long will egg muffins last in the fridge?
You can make these 12 egg cups and keep them in the fridge for breakfast throughout the week. Make sure to store them in an airtight container and they’ll be good for up to 5 days. I reheat in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
Can you freeze egg cups?
Yes you can freeze these egg cups after baking them! If you want to prep a whole bunch of egg cups ahead of time you can absolutely freeze them! To thaw just place them in the fridge the night before and they should be good to heat in the morning.
I love make ahead breakfast recipes! These egg cups are so good to make to have in the fridge for the week. Although, they are delicious right out of the oven as well.
There is literally no prep work for this dish which makes it so FAST! Just dump all your ingredients in and bake! Be sure to watch the video above to see how fast and easy this recipe is!
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk, cream or sour cream (which ever you prefer)
- 2 4oz cans of chopped green chilis
- 1/3 cup drained roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salsa & sour cream for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, chilis and peppers, fold in the cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Pour your egg mixture into the wells of 12 muffin cups filling them 3/4 of the way full. If you are not using a Flexipan Muffin Tray you will need to spray or grease it well.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before un-molding and serving. Top with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend. I would never recommend products I don't love and use!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 244mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g
If you’re coming over from seeing this recipe on google stories, welcome! Thanks for stopping by!