This recipe for breakfast tacos is delicious! It’s the perfect breakfast to serve up for guests or to make for a brunch party. A healthy and savory breakfast recipe that any taco lover will enjoy. This recipe appears on MyChinet.com, I was hired to make recipes and take photographs for their website and I’m sharing a few of my favorite recipes here on my blog.
Why eat Breakfast Tacos?
I’m always looking for really delicious savory breakfast ideas. There is an abundance of indulgent sweet breakfast dishes out there (which don’t get me wrong I love a gooey cinnamon roll!) but when it comes to eating breakfast every day those carbs end up catching up to me all to quickly! These breakfast tacos are a delicious low-carb breakfast. If you want this to be a quicker breakfast you can easily make the bean filling in advance and put it in your fridge so it’s ready to go in the morning.
Where to serve Breakfast Tacos?
Breakfast tacos are a great dish to serve when you have overnight guests because it’s a build your own style dish. You can lay out all the fillings in different size bowls and have everyone make their own tacos. No need to cater to every single food allergy or diet when people can easily pick and choose what they want in their tacos.
What are your favorite breakfast tacos? Have you ever had breakfast tacos? I went to Austin, TX a few years ago and was introduced to the concept. Of course I’ve had breakfast burritos but tacos are different. I’m pretty sure the breakfast taco was born in Austin and if you head down to Texas you’ll be sure to find a plethora of restaurants serving up all different varieties. I love the idea of a taco bar for a brunch party, maybe I should host one in the near future! 🙂
The red bean mixture in this breakfast taco recipe packs tons of flavor. The mixture of spices, garlic and onions with the red beans bring a delicious Mexican authenticity to your breakfast table.
Red Bean Breakfast Tacos
Yield 8 tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) dark red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1/2- teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4- teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2- teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-Blend Cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh lime juice
- fresh parsley or fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in beans; season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans have softened.
- Remove from heat, and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans until they resemble chunky mashed potatoes. Set aside. If you want smoother beans, return to heat and add 1/4-cup water; simmer until beans are thick and of spreading consistency. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Break eggs and gently slide into skillet, one at a time. (In my skillet, I can fit 3-4 eggs at a time.)
- Reduce heat to low and cook slowly until whites are completely firm and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Carefully slide a spatula under each egg and flip; Cook until desired doneness. Add more olive oil as needed.
- Evenly divide and spread prepared beans on warmed tortillas and top with cooked eggs.
- Add diced tomatoes & green chilies over the eggs.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add diced avocados and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each prepared taco.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.
More Breakfast Taco Ideas
There are so many amazing food bloggers who have created drool-worthy breakfast tacos. Here’s a list of some of the best looking recipes that I’m going to be making my way through this summer! Here’s to a summer of breakfast tacos!
Black Bean Breakfast Tacos from Gimme Some Oven
Veggie Breakfast Tacos by Cookie & Kate
Breakfast Tacos with Fire Roasted Tomato Salsa by Cooking Classy
Bacon and Queso Breakfast Tacos by Life in the Lofthouse
Farmers’ Market Breakfast Tacos by Layers of Happiness
Summer Breakfast Tacos by How Sweet Eats
Breakfast Tacos Al Pastor by Half Baked Harvest
Creative Inspiration in your inbox!
Subscribe to get holiday ideas, delicious recipes and fun crafts sent directly to your inbox every Thursday!