This easy creamy tomato soup is the perfect 30 minute comfort meal. It’s a simple recipe hack that takes canned tomato soup and makes it creamy and more flavorful!
Last week we had a couple of those days where you just need a bowl of soup- you know the kind of day, it’s drizzly, cold and all you want to do is put on your favorite pair of sweats, watch a good movie and have a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.
As a kid I’m pretty sure we just had strait Campbell’s but several years ago my grandmother created this recipe to upgrade plain condensed tomato soup.
How to make tomato soup taste better
You can make that can of condensed tomato soup taste really good with these two steps:
Step 1: Add a few extra ingredients. This recipe is the hack you’ve been looking for. With a few extra ingredients that you probably have in your pantry and fridge you can take that can of condensed tomato soup and make it taste really good.
Step 2: Make homemade croutons. Making your own croutons as I’ve instructed in this recipe will totally elevate your simple tomato soup. You won’t believe this came from a can! You can make the croutons in the time that the soup simmers on the stove and all said and done this meal won’t take you more than 30 minutes, tops.
What can I add to tomato soup to make it creamy?
To make a delicious creamy but simple tomato soup add milk and heavy cream. This recipe uses 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1 1/2 cups of milk, you could use 2 1/2 cups of half and half to simplify if you like.
As mentioned above this recipe is simple. It’s basically a hack for canned tomato soup to make it taste creamy and more flavorful. Here are the ingredients.
- Condensed Tomato Soup- The standard classic that everyone has in the pantry
- Diced Tomatoes- Another pantry staple adding diced tomatoes adds some nice texture to tomato soup
- Milk- I use whole milk because that’s what we drink but any milk will work, or you could just use half and half and call it a day.
- Heavy Cream- Thick, rich and lovely in this soup. As mentioned above you could just use half and half instead of milk & heavy cream.
- Dried Basil, Sugar, Salt & Pepper- Some spices and a little bit of sugar to add flavor.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup
This recipe is so simple. It’s literally a dump all the ingredients, let them simmer and then serve!
Because of the milk and cream it will foam a little and if it starts to bubble and grow too much turn down the heat!
How to Make Homemade Croutons
These croutons are so good and so easy to make! You can whip them up while the soup is simmering.
Step 1: Dice sourdough bread in cubes
Step 2: Place on a sheet pan and drizzle olive oil over the bread.
Step 3: Sprinkle garlic powder and parmesan over the bread.
Step 4: Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
When they come out of the oven the sourdough parmesan croutons should be crispy. You might need to break some of them apart with a spatula due to the parmesan melting. They are the perfect little morsels to top your creamy tomato soup!
I love a good soup! Need a few more great recipes? You might also like my white chicken chili, loaded baked potato soup and sweet vegetarian chili.
Creamy Tomato Soup
This easy creamy tomato soup with sourdough parmesan croutons is the perfect 30 minute comfort meal. It's a simple recipe hack that takes canned tomato soup and makes it creamy and more flavorful.
- 2 cans of condensed Tomato Soup
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp of salt, ¼ tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of sugar
Garlic Parmesan Croutons
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat whisk all ingredients for the soup. Heat the soup to a simmer, let simmer for about 5 minutes and then decrease the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 10-15 more minutes. Watch the soup, if it starts to bubble up lower the heat.
- While the soup simmers make the croutons. Dice sourdough bread into cubes and spread onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle bread heavily with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and the parmesan. Toss to evenly coat. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove croutons from oven and serve the soup with croutons on top! Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend. I would never recommend products I don't love and use!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 867mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 11g