Thanksgiving Turkey Cheese Ball
Ingredients for Turkey Cheese Ball Thanksgiving Appetizer:
There are 2 sets of ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. The cheese ball is a recipe strait from my great grandmother. The ingredients sound a little strange but I promise it’s a perfect mix for both sweet and savory flavor. They all taste great combined together in cheese ball form. The best part is you can make this ahead of time so you can save your precious Thanksgiving morning hours cooking the rest of your Thanksgiving meal.
Cheese ball Ingredients:
- Cream Cheese – The base of any cheese ball is cream cheese, it’s the perfect mild tasting cheese that keeps everything together.
- Dried Minced Onion – Comes in a jar in the spice isle. It’s a great way to add onion flavor with out cutting up an onion!
- Minced Bell Pepper – This recipe for turkey cheese ball only calls for a small amount of minced bell pepper. If you don’t have a bell pepper on hand you can omit it, but it does add some extra flavor.
- Crushed Canned Pineapple – Make sure to drain the can of crushed pineapple well. You don’t want a ton of extra moisture in your cheese ball or it will be super wet and hard to form into a ball.
- Salt, Garlic Powder & Onion Powder – Adding these spices gives flavor to the cheese ball.
- Chopped Pecans – Rolling the entire cheese ball in chopped nuts, like pecans, gives the appetizer stability and an added crunch when spread on crackers or dipped in with a vegetable.
Turkey Decoration Ingredients:
The turkey head is purely for decoration on your turkey cheese ball. I don’t love use ingredients that get thrown away but this combination of items I don’t encourage you to eat. Fair warning, this will also have you going to all kinds of random aisles in the grocery store. ha!
- Pretzel Sticks – this ingredient does double duty! Stuck into the back of the turkey cheese ball they act as feathers and also are great when people start to eat! Just grab a pretzel and enjoy!
- Whopper Candy – 1 whopper candy is the perfect size for the turkey’s head
- Beef Jerky Stick – 1 beef jerky stick acts a great base and the turkey’s neck.
- Candy Eyes – I always grab these when they are on the shelves at Halloween time. You can usually find them in the cake decorating section or HERE on Amazon.
- Candy Corn – You’ll need 1 candy corn for the nose of the turkey cheese ball face. Thankfully they are usually still on the shelf in November at most stores.
- Fruit Roll Up – Cutting just a little bitty strip of fruit roll up for the gobbler makes all the difference!
- Melted Chocolate – You can use chocolate chips or baking chocolate to melt and use as the glue for the entire turkey head.
How to assemble the Head of the Turkey Cheese Ball:
- 2 8oz pkgs of cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced green bell pepper
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple well drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- pretzel sticks
- whopper candy
- beef jerky stick
- candy eyes
- candy corn
- fruit roll up
- melted chocolate
- Mix all ingredients other than the pecans together until well combined, i used my kitchenaid stand mixer. With damp hands roll the mixture into a ball and then roll in chopped pecans. Wrap it in wax paper and put it in the fridge to chill and firm up a bit.
- Oh and btw this cheese ball is super yummy. We made this just to photograph it and it was gone in a few days with only 3 people (well really only 2) snacking on it. It’s my favorite go to cheese ball recipe.
- Decorate: To make the turkey “feathers” stick your pretzel sticks into the back 1/2 of the cheese ball. To create mr. gobblers head take a stick of beef jerkey and “glue” a whopper candy on top with melted chocolate or icing. You can see in the video I put melted chocolate into a plastic bag and then clipped the end. I find that the melted chocolate creates a very strong “glue” once it is dried. Sometimes I even attach the whopper and then put it in the fridge to get it nice and attached before I move on to the rest of the face. Then attach the nose and eyes also with the chocolate. We made the gobbler by cutting a little strip of fruit roll up and then laying it over the candy corn, no need for glue. See the photos below for a step-by-step photo tutorial or the video above!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission if you purchase something I recommend. I would never recommend products I don't love and use!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
If you make a Turkey Cheeseball please let me know! It makes me so happy to hear when you make recipes from the blog! I’d love to hear in the comments or tag me on Instagram (@handmadeintheheartland) or Facebook! I just love seeing pictures of your turkeys every Thanksgiving!!